Corydon is located in South Central Iowa in Wayne County. We are a small city of 1585 persons, the largest of 9 cities in the county. Corydon hosts the Wayne County Courthouse on a very charming square in the center of the city. There are two major parks, one with a nine-hole golf course and aquatic center, the other with a 58 acre lake with campgrounds, disc golf course, fishing and a nearby walking trail.
Major employers are:
- Wayne County Hospital; 5 family physicians; 1 surgeon; 2 PAs; 2 NPs & a midwife.
- East Penn Manufacturing; produced 1M batteries annually — Deka brand
- Shivvers Manufacturing; produces grain dryers & large lawn mowers
- Air Filtration; produces specialized paint booths
- Midwest Precase Concrete; specialized concrete construction
Corydon is home to the Wayne Community Schools. This district serves not only Corydon but Allerton, Cambria, Millerton and Lineville.
Corydon was established in 1851 as an agricultural community with railroad access and ties to nearby coal mines. Later, Corydon was a stop along the way for those using the Mormon Trail.
This community works hard at continuing to be a strong economic center for the county and also move forward to meet the challenges of the modern world.